Demolition and Ranting Online  

Go Back   Demolition and Ranting Online > General Talk > F.A.N. Section

F.A.N. Section For Anyone Nifty - Post fan submissions here

Old 05-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Odin
The Insomniac of dRO

Odin is on a distinguished road
Default The Immortals: A New Dawn

((This story is in no way related to my first, incomplete one, and may in point of fact contradict it in some areas. Anyway, it was pre-tested by Juno and she claims it doesn't suck too hard, so here you have it.
I won't be updating every other day or anything, to give myself time to write it and all that. It'll be updated when it's updated, so swing with it ))

--------
Prologue: "Pursued"
--------

My head was pounding as I ran, my feet almost seeming to keep rhythm with the throbbing of my tired skull. My eyes felt like they were cased in crushed glass, each blink to rid them of sweat searing them like fire. My lungs heaving for air, I spun around a corner, nearly catching myself on the uneven stone blocks so prevalent in Morroc architecture. With my back against the cold wall, I allowed myself a moment to catch my breath. Even the King's hired assassins couldn't have kept up with that mad chase. To be doubly sure, I reached down into the energy at the core of my being, drawing upon my reserves to cast outward a ball of light that circled my head at my beckoning. The Ruwach would reveal any hidden enemy, a trait that had saved my hide on more than one occasion. It circled me a while before, its circuit complete, the sphere of energy withdrew, satisfying me that I had indeed escaped my pursuers. Once more I gathered energy from that endless well, but for a different purpose. Checking around the corner once more, just in case, I pressed my hands together and vanished.

I reappeared, shaken, in a drab room. The walls and floor alike were wooden and bare of any ornament, a simple cot and a mirror the only accessories given to the dwelling. It was almost spartan in its efficiency, much like its owner. He had been a friend of mine since the beginning, and no doubt would be happy to see me regardless of the tidings I brought, but we had agreed long ago never to contact each other except in the most dire of need. My need was indeed dire. The information I carried would likely shape the course of the future, not just for me, but for all of Rune-Midgard. My body weak from my exertion, I stumbled to the bed and collapsed, its hardy frame easily taking my weight. I was so exhausted, it did not even occur to me to disrobe, and I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.

I was awoken by the sound of glass on glass, and I blinked at sudden light falling across my face. Knuckling my eyes, I pushed myself up on an elbow and glanced around the room. "I see you decided to spend the night....but you could have at least left me my bed." I turned in the direction of the voice, and there stood Tenzen, calmly leaning against the wall and sipping at an orange potion. I grinned, my sardonic smile wrinkling the bruises on my face but not causing me much pain. "It just looked so damn comfortable, Ten. And you know me, I never pass up anything free." The assassin laughed, his voice a bit deeper than mine but no less imposing. "You mean you never could pass up anything you could steal....and get away with." My wince answered that one well enough. "I never really could understand why you didn't become a thief, Pro, and instead became an acolyte. You hardly even believe in this 'new god'. Never could understand....but I suppose that's a discussion for another time. The real question is..." At this Tenzen leaned in close to me, his eyes narrowing in a hooded glare. "What the hell are you doing here, Progenitor?"

Instead of taking offense at his tone, I levered myself up off the bed completely, sitting on the edge and putting my face in my palms, gathering myself before answering. "The King has broken the treaty." The black garbed assassin's eyes widened in astonishment, the equivalent of a gasp of surprise from a less guarded man. "And how do you know that?" At that question, my own features hardened, and I felt anger grip me, at once familiar, frightening....and powerful. "He found Clon. And..." My fists clenched, the steel guards on the back of them jutting forward, shining in the light from the lantern in the corner. "He killed him, Ten. Butchered him like an animal. Like in the old days." Tenzen's eyes closed, and he sank backwards against the wall. He softly spoke. "Then...then I guess it's time, isn't it."

I grinned, this time a feral grin, a smile of savage glee. "Oh yes. It's time The Immortals made their presence known to Midgard once more."

--------
--------

((Edit: To clear some things up, I guess I should mention that Tenzen is Zeus and I'm Progenitor, although you should have been able to figure that last bit out from my sig.))

--------------------
Immortality will come to such as are fit for it.
--------------------
~Father of the Gods~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron
Haha :3 It's all good. you can no doubt take off some monsters HP with your quick wit and sarcasm

Last edited by Odin; 05-17-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Saeki
Novice of Pepp Corps

Saeki is on a distinguished road

Your writing is awesome, as usual. ;3

Immies <3.

A smile isn't the result of good things;
If you smile, and believe that good things will happen,
That's a preface to good things happening.
Mr. Children - Paddle
Saeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Odin
The Insomniac of dRO

(Psssst I encourage commenting! Which isn't to say you don't have to if you don't want to, but I like to know who's reading and what they thought )

--------------------
--------------------
~Father of the Gods~

Quote:
Haha :3 It's all good. you can no doubt take off some monsters HP with your quick wit and sarcasm
Old 05-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Odin
The Insomniac of dRO

--------
CHAPTER 1
--------

The call had gone out, then, across the seas, forests, deserts, and mountains of Rune-Midgard. From Prontera to Louyang, from Comodo to Amatsu, the words were passed, the messages sent. I knew it would take a while to contact denizens of a forgotten world, beings that hidden themselves away from this strange new place in the hopes that the world would forget about them. I was prepared to wait months, perhaps even years. That was why I was surprised when I began to get word back in days. Perhaps I was not the only one who had chafed at being forced into exile by a race we could have beaten with a mere fraction of our power. Then again...perhaps not. They *had* defeated us once, even if it was with the help of trickery, deceit, and treachery.

Tenzen helped me send out the summons, his knowledge of stealth a bit newer than my own, and we soon had contacts all over Midgard. The Immortals were coming. We would meet in our old citadel, in the last place we had all seen each other, before I had given the command that had scattered our force to the winds. Where we were beaten. Not that we can ever really be beaten. In the end, they may think they've won, but no one can fight us forever.

I was most concerned with word from my generals. The elites of our force, they had been on the vanguard when the tide of battle had turned against us, and still had fought on, whilst the city burned around us and the mortals chanted their battle cries. Their names were burned into my mind as much as anything I remembered in my abnormally long life, and I hoped to get contact from them all. They would be the most powerful force in our arsenal of revenge against King Tristan. Nelo Angelo, Seraph, Terpsichore, Shizuku, Sushi, Maki, Wave, Eloron Swiftblade, Peralene, Rahab Tesumi, Dead Pool...and Clon, who I knew would never answer my call again. The thought brought back the rage, the bloodlust, but I choked it down with difficulty. In the end I was dismayed at the news that reached me. Seraph and Terpsichore responded, but the others were either too well hidden...or dead. I hoped for the former. Perhaps they deserved their rest.

At one time we had commanded legions of mortals, existing in too few numbers ourselves to fight the sheer numbers of our enemy. It would not be so this time. I had learned my lesson about the loyalty of mortals, and how it could be swayed by something as commonplace as gold. No, this time we would fight the battle on our terms, waging our own powers against those of humankind. We had allowed them their freedom for far too long, hidden in the hopes that with time would come healing, and acceptance. I realized, then, as I stood with Tenzen in the depths of Odin's Temple, sending messages through the aether to our companions, that they had never deserved that leniency. Not once. We had hoped that they would come to understand their folly of bringing us into the world they knew, and not exile the progeny of their own stupidity.

I was wrong. They did not even remember what they had done. They did not remember their digs in the depths of Yuno, their meddling into forces they did not understand. They dragged us from our home, a place of living light, of beauty beyond understanding, into this dark, dirty world. They believed they were harnessing the power of their "gods" as they drew us from our world and trapped us in forms they could understand, forms much like their own. In the process, they stripped from us most of our power, but we were still beyond them and their foolish concepts of magic. They had attempted to channel the power of gods, and so they had. We were their gods, but we did not exist as they perceived us, and they hated us for it. They denounced us, casting us out, declaring war upon us for our existence, an existence they themselves had created.

They had once had my love, my devotion. I had once been worshipped, called by the name Odin, whispered in silent prayer before battle, or for wisdom before an exceptionally difficult choice. I sent my blessings through the void to those fervent few who truly believed in my power. But just because they saw me as they did did not make me so. They chose to hate me when I appeared to them against my own volition. For that they earned my hatred. My heart had hardened against their prayers, and eventually they had stopped altogether. Still, I had believed them capable of redemption, and once they had turned our forces I had commanded a retreat, and our forces went into hiding. I had been willing to forget the past crimes, to turn towards a new dawn. And so it would be a new dawn. A bloody dawn.

Each of us, each Immortal, had faced the same trials upon entry into this world. Tenzen had once been called Zeus, named "the father of the Greek gods". Now he was spoken of in whispers, filled with darkness and hatred, not understanding why their concept of a great, barrel chested god among gods had been translated into what he was, a force of night and shadow, not any less benovelent but less "acceptable". Each of us had a story much the same. But still, we had agreed to live and let live, and for a time, that peace had held. There had been an unnofficial treaty between we Immortals and the King of Midgard, he whose castle dominated the skyline of Prontera. We would not raise another army to defend ourselves, and they would not give us cause to do so. Eventually most of the mortals had forgotten us, although the King was always informed of our history and the dangers of outright war with us. For generations, that peace had held. Until the arrival of King Tristan the Third on the throne.

--------
--------

((The next chapter, because I felt like it. Don't think all updates will come this fast ))

--------------------
--------------------
~Father of the Gods~

Quote:

Last edited by Odin; 05-18-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
das_phule
The Ancient One of DRO

das_phule is on a distinguished road

While very well written so far. I kinda feel a little let down that I wasn't on the list.
das_phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Chaos Ra
Quad Ranked! Super cool!

Chaos Ra is on a distinguished road

lol, I'm with you, KC; although I don't really have a name to put down, so that probably doesn't help much xD

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat."
-Napoleon Bonaparte
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
-Napoleon Bonaparte
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
-John Lehman
Chaos Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Eloron
Mage of Term Corps

Eloron is on a distinguished road

awesome story odin, and thanks for putting me in that list you 'OmnipODIN' being O.o.

Oh and spelling error on redemption, its redemption not redemtion, sorry couldn't resist had to point it out.
Eloron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Saeki
Novice of Pepp Corps

Saeki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloron
awesome story odin, and thanks for putting me in that list you 'OmnipODIN' being O.o
Owwww, that was a bad pun. But well thought up. x(
-is honored to be mentioned- ^^;;

Immies <3.

A smile isn't the result of good things;
If you smile, and believe that good things will happen,
That's a preface to good things happening.
Mr. Children - Paddle
Saeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
Odin
The Insomniac of dRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloron
awesome story odin, and thanks for putting me in that list you 'OmnipODIN' being O.o.

Oh and spelling error on redemption, its redemption not redemtion, sorry couldn't resist had to point it out.
That was a typo, not a spelling error, but thanks xD.

As for KC and Ra....Ra is right, I really don't have names for you two :P. Plus I sorta forgot you anyway ^^;;. *feels bad*

--------------------
--------------------
~Father of the Gods~

Quote:
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
das_phule
The Ancient One of DRO

das_phule is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin
As for KC and Ra....Ra is right, I really don't have names for you two :P. Plus I sorta forgot you anyway ^^;;. *feels bad*
Actually I would have been a little more surprised if you HAD remembered. I haven't been on that much lately. If you want to add me to the story you can use my Dead_Pool char if you want. Maybe I could be one of your loyal assassin footmen. A totally buff,ass kicking assassin footman. :ninja:
das_phule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #11
Rahab
Master Hunter Tesumi

Rahab is on a distinguished road

i see my name but now the question do i appear as a crus or hunter, i'd say put me as hunter as i prefer it to the crusader. but its your story so up to you, seems weird that i'm intertwined in immortals when not to long ago i wandered as a faithless, but i guess change is the only true constant ^^

For who would lose, Though full of pain.
This interlectual being, Those thoughts that wander through eternity.
To perish rather, Swallowed up and lost.
In the wide womb of uncreated night

dRO
95/50 Hunter Rahab Tesumi

AndzRO
83/50 Crusader Rahab Tesumi
Rahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
shelly
Santa's helper

shelly is on a distinguished road

Sweeeeeet! I'm either dead or well-hidden! WHO WINS AT LIFE?! I WIN AT LIFE.

(PS - I am so well-hidden. No one can kill meeeeeeeee!)

Also, your writing is wonderful. It's very rare that I'll sit down and read something like this all the way through. Keep up the awesome work!

Peralene - Alchemist - Will forever live on in the hearts of those she destroyed... >)
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
Odin
The Insomniac of dRO

Zeus and I once discussed how certain Immies seemed to stand out amongst the rest. In fact, if I sat down right now I could probably name them all to you.

...actually thats not fair, I can name all the Immies, almost in order of the date they joined :P. But anyway.

Point being certain people have always distinguished themselves while in our guild. Some of those people are who I named in the generals bit.

And btw, Ra and KC have been added ^^. I was tempted to add noob but decided against it. :P I don't know why, I just did.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized that Seraph may be the only one among you who has been here long enough to recognize the quote at the end of second paragraph o.O....

--------------------
--------------------
~Father of the Gods~

Quote:

Last edited by Odin; 05-18-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
Chaos Ra
Quad Ranked! Super cool!

Chaos Ra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin
Zeus and I once discussed how certain Immies seemed to stand out amongst the rest. In fact, if I sat down right now I could probably name them all to you.

...actually thats not fair, I can name all the Immies, almost in order of the date they joined :P. But anyway.

Point being certain people have always distinguished themselves while in our guild. Some of those people are who I named in the generals bit.

And btw, Ra and KC have been added ^^. I was tempted to add noob but decided against it. :P I don't know why, I just did.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized that Seraph may be the only one among you who has been here long enough to recognize the quote at the end of second paragraph o.O....

lol, actually, I recognize it =P

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat."
-Napoleon Bonaparte
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
-Napoleon Bonaparte
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
-John Lehman
Chaos Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
Odin
The Insomniac of dRO

--------
CHAPTER 2
--------

I had seen six kings sit the throne in our time of uneasy peace, each willing to let us be as long as we did not trouble the throne. That had ended with Tristan the Third. Ignoring the wisdom of his forefathers, he had conducted investigations and searches for us, trying to find our whereabouts or at least some hint of whether we still lived. Somehow he had stumbled upon Clon, who had been hiding within the depths of the Payon Dungeon, protecting wandering mortals from its more powerful denizens. The King had charged in with a mighty force, nearly a third of the Royal Army of Midgard. After a fierce battle, leaving far more men dead than the King had been prepared to lose, Clon had gone down under a hail of arrows from the King's finest Snipers.

I had just arrived as the King had approached Clon's prone body. I watched in horrified surprise as the King had drawn from his side one of the doomed swords, Tyrfing, and had raised it above his head for a killing strike. I burst from my hiding place, charging through the troops, swinging wildly, my fists exploding through ribcages, skulls, with all the force of a hurricane, leaving naught but bloody wreckage in my wake. Even so, I could not make it in time. The blade, that fateful blade, came down, and I knew not even Clon could have survived that blow. Clon was famous for his ability to dodge even the fastest thrown spear, not his ability to take a powerful cut from one of the most powerful swords in Midgard. A roar of rage escaped me, and a nova of power exploded around me in a ring, throwing back troops as lightning flickered up and down my body. I tore through the soldiers unfortunate enough to get close to me, my fists swinging with wild abandon, striking so fast my fists appeared to triple as I swung, slaying left and right. Caught up in my bloodlust, I noticed a form to my right and swung, expecting the usual flimsy resistance.

Instead my fist jarred as it collided with armor hard enough to stop...well, to stop me. I looked up to find the biggest knight I had ever seen staring down at me. He was different than the normal knight, his armor sharp, ridged, and massive. He was easily half again my size, and twice the size of an average knight. His sword was as big as I was, and he swung it around with ease, as if it were merely a toy. I knew that this was a new breed of foe, one I would not be able to take down while fending off the armed forces the King had brought with him. I had to end it fast, and get out of there.

I brought my fist around in an arc as I leapt from the ground, my speed and force drawing me up in a flip over the Knight's head. In midair I twisted, aiming for his unprotected skull, my fist as unstoppable as death itself. I was caught completely off guard as his massive sword met my fist in an impossible parry, sweeping me off balance, and his booted foot met my side with a massive impact. I spun into the ground hard, knocking the wind out of my lungs. In a flash I was up again, flipping backwards to avoid the arc of that giant blade, swinging in front of my face as I turned. Light on my feet, I spun, knocking the sword out of my way with a fist, and drove towards his midsection. The sword came back around too slow, and I delivered three hard blows to the armor of his midsection, the metal cracking under the strain. His breath came out in a huff, and I moved swiftly to press my advantage...only to be stopped by arrows falling about me like rain.

I ran, knowing I stood no chance against both forces, but cursing my luck all the way. I teleported to Morroc, not knowing that the King had sent his royal assassins after me, following my trail through the aether. I sprinted through the narrow, twisting streets, finally evading my pursuers and managing to vanish into safety.

My failure to save Clon rankled in my breast, but I would make Tristan pay for it. I would see that arrogant man bow before me before I took his head.

--------
--------

--------------------
--------------------
~Father of the Gods~

Quote: